S class bogie sheep trucks (Class Nb before 1900)

Builders photo of S3001 (RHWA collection)

The first twelve NB class sheep trucks (546-557) entered traffic on the W.A.G.R. in 1893. They were followed by another batch of twenty-six in 1896 (212-2146). A final batch of twelve (3001-3012) was built by the Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon Co and entered traffic in 1897. These last twelve wagons had only two brake shoes per bogie rather than the four on the earlier wagons. These bogies do seem to have been swapped around though as shown by the picture of 3008 at the bottom of this page.  All of the wagons were reclassified S in 1900. At some later point in the life of the wagons the single large doors on the centre line were replaced with pairs of smaller ones on twenty wagons (confirmed for 547, 2122). Disposal of the class was as follows:

1948

555, 2141, 2145 written off

1949

556 written off

2125, 2127, 2133, 2134, 2139, 2140, 2142, 3002, 3008 to JETTY 714, 682, 704, 701, 710, 683, 707, 702, 703

Written off 555, 2141, 2145 to JETTY 689, 700, 688

1950

2121, 2126, 2131, 2143, 3005 written off

2130 to JETTY 783

1953 553, 2144, 3006 written off
1954 546, 548, 551, 552, 554, 2129, 2132, 2135, 2146, 3001, 3003, 3007, 3009, 3011 written off
1955 547, 2122, 2123, 2124, 2137, 3004, 3010 written off
1957 2136, 3012 written off
1958 549, 557 written off
1960 550, 2128, 2138 to JETTY 278, 282, 280
 

S3008 (RHWA collection)

 Return to class S    

Return to alphabetical list