D Class (17'-0") vans

This small group of five D class vans (86, 87, 93, 3253, 3380) turned out in 1904 was the first stab at a more modern, higher capacity, four-wheeled van after the N.Z.R. type. The chassis used seems to have been similar to (if not the same as) the FA class louvred vans and the GA class open wagons.

The class remained intact until 1944 when D86 was converted to (or replaced by) class DA. In 1954 D93 and 3380 were written off and D87 became a workmen's van. Finally D3253 was written off in 1956.

 

 

 

 

No picture available

 

 Return to class D

 

 

Return to alphabetical list