JAC Class water tanks

Fifty GC class open wagons were converted to water tankers in 1951 by removing the sides and ends and fitting a pair of rectangular metal tanks. These two tanks had a combined capacity of 1350 gallons. The wagons involved in the conversion programme were as follows:

254, 288, 409, 640, 6061, 6466, 6547, 6580, 6594, 6679, 6816, 6851, 6902, 6965, 7142, 7355, 7444, 7563/8, 7705, 7797, 7822, 8034, 8084, 8106, 8593, 8608, 8614, 8651, 8712, 8742, 8752/7, 8770, 8849, 8931, 9112, 9187, 9203, 9241, 9279, 9544, 9571, 9582, 9619, 9662, 9936, 10318, 10334, 10436.

 

 

 

 

No picture available

As the usage of steam locomotives in the more arid areas declined these wagons were written off and they had all gone by 1961.

1954

409, 6580, 7142, 7563, 8034, 8084, 8106, 9187, 9203, 9241, 9582 written off

1955

254, 640, 6547, 6679, 6851, 7355, 7444, 7568,7705, 7797, 8608, 8742, 8752/7, 8770, 9112, 9279, 9544, 9619, 10318, 10334, written off

7822 to JETTY 106

1956

288, 6061, 6466, 6594, 6816, 6902, 6965, 8593, 8614, 8651, 8712, 8849, 8931, 9571, 10436 written off

1961

9662, 9936 written off

 

Return to class J

 

 

Return to alphabetical list