JH, JHR and JHS Class Fuel Oil tankers

In 1934 three JH class tankers (43-5) were built for Shell. Five more (46-50) followed in 1935 with a final three (51, 54 and 55) in 1936. Two more were built for Triton Gold mines in 1937 (171, 172).

Another seven (90-94 for Big Bell Gold mines and 138,139 for Lake View and Star Gold Mine) were also built in 1937 but these had slight modifications to the dome.

In 1941 number 44 went to South Australia for Army use as did 45 and 49 in 1942. These three tankers returned in 1947. In 1949 numbers 171 and 172 were permanently transferred to the Commonwealth Railways.

A final JH class tanker (239) was built for shell by Hume steel in 1951.

In 1956 numbers 91-3 were sold to CALTEX whilst 90 and 94 went to Central Norseman Gold mining in 1959.

In 1973 numbers 138 and 139 were sold to Shell. Numbers 90 and 94 were written off in 1975 but were taken into W.A.G.R. stock in June 1976 as JHS1021, 1022.

In 1987 43, 45, 48, 51, 138, 139 and 239 were altered to class JHR

 In 1997 JHR48 was written off followed by 50, 239 and JHS 1022 in 1998.

Return to class J

 

 

Return to alphabetical list