P Class Mail vans (formerly class AK before 1940 and class TB before 1900)

An Ashbury Carriage and Wagon Co builders photo of one of the clerestory roofed vans. (ARHS collection)

In 1936 the remaining four-wheeled brake vans were reclassified ZP and thus the P code was empty until in June 1940 the six AK class mail vans were reclassified and renumbered as wagons. Four of these (254-257) were old clerestory roofed vans built by Ashbury Carriage and Wagon Co in 1896-8.

By this time they had been modified from their original condition.  They had two large sliding doors on either side and were no longer used to sort mail. At first these vans were listed as "mail, milk, etc" but from 1945 they were just listed as "covered vans".

The other two (250 and 251) were 1911 built vehicles constructed at Midland Workshops.  After conversion to class P the windows of the vans, to allow the mail staff to work, were boarded over, probably during the war years.

The renumbering and disposal of these vans was as follows:

P658 (ex AK251), the sole survivor, at Bassendean Museum

Carriage stock number (AK)

New wagon stock number (P)

Written off

254

669

August 1952

255

718

November 1960

256

754

October 1950

257

788

May 1959

250

469

May 1965

251

658

March 1969

 

 Return to P class group

 

 

Return to alphabetical list