M.R.W.A. PA (later P) class Steel open wagons

 In 1930 a group of fifteen new steel open wagons were built for the M.R.W.A. They were numbered PA465-474, 501-505. They were similar in design to the M.R.W.A. P class built in 1927, which were identical to the W.A.G.R. K class. The difference between the two class was that the PA class had sides only 3'-0" high compared to the 4'-0" deep sides of the P and W.A.G.R. K classes. In 1932 for some reason now lost in the mists of time the P class became class PA and the PA class became class P. A further batch of wagons (P460-464) was built in 1932 followed by P455-459 in 1933 and 451-454, 475 in 1934. Finally in 1955 P501-5 were renumbered P446-450.  There is a photo of one of these wagons in the Weston Langford collection.

In 1964 the M.R.W.A. was taken over by the W.A.G.R. and the wagons were renumbered and reclassified as follows:

1964

P446-452, 454, 456-463, 465-473, 475 to KB40611-7, 40619, 40621-8, 40630-8, 40640.

1965

P453, 455, 464, 474 to KB 40618, 40620, 40629, 40639

The wagons in this class were written off as follows:

1970

40612, 40626 written off

1972

40616,40617, 40619, 40620, 40629, 40630

1973

40614, 40631, 40632 written off

1975

40622, 40635, 40638 written off

1976 Written off KB40617, 40614, 40619 to JETTY 985-987

1977

40618, 40625 written off

1978

40634 written off

1979

40611, 40613, 40615, 40621, 40623, 40624, 40627, 40628, 40633, 40636, 40637, 40639, 40640 written off

 

Return to MRWA wagons

Return to class K

 

Return to alphabetical list